Title: VP Counsel Counsel – EMEA Markets Legal: Segregation Legal
Location : London / Manchester/ Edinburgh
Working as a member of the Segregation legal team within the Capital Markets legal team of this leading Global Bank
The role will be to act as legal counsel responsible for supporting EMEA Segregation, and will report into the Head of Segregation Legal. The role is primarily delivering effective Legal support in relation to revenue-generating activity, and the implementation of strategic and regulatory change affecting EMEA Segregation (and any relevant legal entities). The role will involve coordinating with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department (and other jurisdictions where appropriate), and jurisdiction-specific lawyers, to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to the bank’s business models.
- Providing timely advice and assistance to Segregation business, risk and compliance partners;
- Providing legal advice and assistance on new products and product development;
- Initial point of contact/support for designated product lines, including attendance at business acceptance committee and trustee committee meetings as applicable;
- Assistance with management of flow Segregation business requests;
- Negotiation of documents, to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures promulgated by the Legal Department;
- Consideration of proposed amendments to existing deal documents/structures;
- Building relationships with all Business Managers to ensure understanding with the Bank's contractual obligations, identify areas of improvement of documents policies and standards, advise on the documentation for new services or markets and other strategic initiatives and join industry panels and work initiatives through trade associations;
- Regulatory issues, including maintaining an understanding of existing and proposed regulatory requirements, trends and best practices for EMEA, and where applicable US;
- Supporting the instruction and management of external counsel, both in the UK and overseas (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
- Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies, market industry issues, and legal issues;
- Informal knowledge-sharing within the legal team; and
- Assisting the business in maintaining an appropriate profile with industry groups and others on key issues, including via participation in industry forums and other external discussions.
3-10 years PQE with a legal background in institutional/wholesale banking or private practice and ideally trading, derivatives and markets-related disciplines.
Expertise in the following is desirable:
- Trading and derivative products;
- Custody or Prime Brokerage;
- Commercial contract negotiation;
- Working knowledge of Markets regulatory frameworks;
- In-house legal and transactional banking operational experience at a global financial institution;
- Familiarity with clearing and settlement activities; and
- Experience of interactions with Markets Legal and wider business/risk/compliance colleagues.
The candidate should also have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills;
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills;
- Adept problem-solving skills and an ability to identify practical solutions;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives and an ability to work autonomously;
- Customer orientation and specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients;
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management; and
- A willingness to work as part of a team and help on a variety of matters.
Ref: 25367 Our client are looking for a Digital Marketing Executive to support the existing team in delivering key digital…
Ref: 25326 Our Client is an established asset manager based in the City looking to hire a Digital Marketing Associate…
Ref: 25421 Do you have IBA experience within the Lloyd’s Insurance Market? Then I have the role for you. Our…